Thursday, December 27, 2018

Take a Step With Jesus by Pastor Brent Lokker

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Ephesians 2:10

For it is God who works in you to will and to act
in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Philippians 2:13
Take a Step with Jesus

This year the Lokkers enjoyed an early family Christmas celebration two days early because that’s when it worked on everyone’s calendar to share a leisurely, fun day together.  So when December 25th came around, Suzanne and I experienced the first Christmas Day in our 31 years of marriage where we had nowhere in particular we had to be and nothing in particular we had to do. Surreal!

On this most unusual Christmas Day afternoon, I decided to tackle some of the many projects in our yard: the rain gutters needed cleaning, the leaves blown off of our back patio, the front lawn mowed and trimmed and the leaves in the street in front of our house swept up, to name a few.

After trading my PJ’s for some sweats, I headed outside only to find myself stopping dead in my tracks several steps outside my back patio door. What do I do first?  It sounds like a simple enough question, but what ended up happening is I would decide on a certain project and take a few steps in that direction only to stop again in my tracks a few steps later to rethink my decision.  I repeated this process several more times heading in several different directions before I realized I’d been outside for several minutes without being any closer to accomplishing any of the projects I’d set out to do.

Finally I said to myself, ”If I would just blow the leaves off the back patio and see it clean, I would be a happy camper.”  Good! I made a decision, retrieved the blower, unwound the extension cord and witnessed the transformation of 600 square feet of concrete from a chaotic mess to a blissful clean canvas.

When I made a choice to complete one project, it lead to a handful of others getting done as well (I’d need to double the size of this article to tell you all about it). I didn’t check every single thing off my to-do list, but I did happen to get a few things done I hadn’t planned on because they just came up as I made my way around the house. And what I did accomplish felt great!  Even better yet, I enjoyed the presence of Jesus throughout the course of what I was doing. Does Jesus even like yardwork?  If it’s with you or me, of course he does!

So what’s the point of this story? As I thought back on the day, Papa God began communicating an important truth that I want to share with you as you are heading into a new year with a mixture of some disappointments of what didn’t happen this past year as well as some hopes as to what lies ahead for you. This is what my spirit heard from God…

“I’ve placed dreams and desires within you to do good things (Eph. 2:10) and I’ve put my own Spirit within you to accomplish them (Phil. 2:13).  Of the good dreams and ideas I’ve placed within you, I want you to choose something. I want you to choose something. This is the free will—the ability to choose—that I’ve intentionally fashioned you to walk in and enjoy with Me. When you choose from the dreams and ideas I’ve placed within you to expand My Kingdom, it will lead to more and more good. You won’t get everything on your list checked off, but that’s not the point. The point is you and Me enjoying life together and in that journey blessing a whole lot of people along the way and letting them see glimpses of a Father who loves them. Are you good with that?  Make a choice from the dreams and passions I’ve placed within you. Take a step with me and see where it leads…”

That's your direction for this new year from the Lord.
On your marks...get set...

With Love,

Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment