Thursday, October 23, 2014

Walking Upstream by Karena Lout



“The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it.” John 1:5

Last year at this time I made a trip to Cambodia to help at a rescue home for young girls. I’ve been thinking about those precious girls a lot. It was a challenging experience but also life changing. Unfortunately, girls in Cambodia are typically sold by their own family members into brothels because they aren’t valued. There's a saying in Cambodia that girls are like white cloth and boys are like gold. In essence, they believe that once white cloth is stained, it's worthless but gold can be polished and made clean again. But we know that what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross completely obliterates this lie. He made a way for all to be made new and gives worth and value to every life, male and female.

I know you’re probably thinking, “enough of the intensity!” but the story gets better. I’ve seen so many young girls and women receive healing and restoration in this area. Despite the statistics, I have hope that I will see an end to human trafficking in my lifetime. There are countless organizations rising up, dedicated to bring hope and healing to survivors. With any problem, there is an opportunity for God to break in and cut the injustice off at the root. I’m grateful that girls continue to be rescued, but I’ve come to see that until there is no longer a demand, the problem will remain.


Several years ago I heard a quote by David Batstone, the founder of Not For Sale, that really challenged me. He said, “Pulling drowning people out of the river is compassion but we have to walk upstream to solve the reasons they are falling in. That’s justice.” I saw this picture of compassion being fuel and justice being the vehicle. As we pour out compassion over people and situations, justice will then take us where we need to go. We can’t drive the car without the fuel. Both are needed. Holy Spirit wants to give us solutions that will bring lasting change and transformation in every area of life.

When I was in Cambodia, I witnessed this time and time again. Our team focused some of our time speaking to families and communities who sold their children into slavery. We talked about the importance of family and taking care of one another and communicated that every Khmer child has value and worth. Our team also visited a few organizations that teach families different skill sets to rise above poverty so they will stop selling their children to bring in income. We visited a gym where a famous Cambodian boxer trains young men to keep them off the street. He also disciples them to be responsible men and teaches them about the value of women and girls. Jesus is bringing amazing solutions and His light is overcoming a very dark injustice.

I’m praying that God would begin to show you what answer you carry inside of you to challenges in your family, your city or workplace. I pray that as you walk upstream, you would be filled with solutions that bring lasting fruit. You are qualified. There is nothing that our Father can’t do in and through you. I pray that you would be strengthened with might as you walk upstream, knowing Jesus took those very steps before you. He’s made a way for you and He is faithful to carry out the dreams He’s placed in your heart!

Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment