Friday, July 5, 2024

OUR CENTRAL REFERENCE POINT - by Russ & Susan Fochler

At a recent leader’s meeting, Susan felt God’s presence and saw an angel holding a large sword vertically with the point up.  And in her spirit and mind Susan heard “plumb line” and she understood our plumb line or central reference point is God’s love.  While other things are important, everything else is rightly valued and understood when we build our life upon His love.  

What does this mean?  Last Saturday night, we looked at these scriptures: 

- Psalm 89: 1-2, and 14-15 in the NIV

- Isaiah 28:16-17a in the NKJV

- 1 Cor 13:1-7, 12-13 in The Source New Testament

- Hebrews 12:5-11 in The Message Bible

- And 1 John chapter 1 in The Passion Translation

- Saturday's talk starts here at an hour and 26 minutes. -

“Therefore thus says the Lord God:

Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation,
A tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation;
Whoever believes will not act hastily.

Also I will make justice the measuring line,
And righteousness the plummet;”    (Isaiah 28:16-17a  NKJV)

God declares this prophecy in response to the problem of the scornful men ruling Jerusalem seemingly getting away with evil.  But, the true scope of this prophecy is for the whole world throughout time.  Unless our hearts change, the devastations and desolations resulting from heedless self-protection and self-promotion continue to ripple outward.   Jesus the Messiah is our cornerstone - our central reference point of other-centered, self-giving love.  His justice is the restoration of every violation of love (Jennifer Toledo).   And righteousness is established by God (Abba, Jesus, and Holy Spirit) through living inside us, living in communion with us while we grow in trusting and agreeing with His glad, loving heart.

This song beautifully captures this:

“Holy, there is no one like You

There is none beside You

Open up my eyes in wonder

And show me who You are

And fill me with Your heart

And lead me in Your love to those around me

 

And I will build my life upon Your love

It is a firm foundation

And I will put my trust in You alone

And I will not be shaken”  

(Build My Life by Pat Barrett)

 

With hope and joy in Jesus, 

Russ & Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment