Thursday, August 9, 2018

Surrendering to Kindness by Pastor Susan Fochler

Growing up I picked up the message that love meant obligation and loyalty, not tenderness or affection.  So when I encounter someone with a kind and gentle heart, I find myself both pleasantly surprised and deeply moved.  I’m the one who’s always crying at the tender moments in a movie.  My heart has always yearned for such kindness, but it has been a journey to learn how to trust and receive what my heart truly needs.
God’s Kindness Frees Us to Change
Romans 2:4 describes the power of kindness: “It is the kindness of God that leads to repentance”.  He knows that the last thing we expect if we are struggling is to be met with understanding.  The world-and sometimes the church-would tell us to feel ashamed if we make a mistake, to expect rejection.  Frustrated parents and leaders in our lives have sought to motivate us with judgment or blame.  It doesn’t really work, but people do it anyway.
Safe and Tender Arms of Love
But God says, “if a change is needed in your life, come to Me and I will not only receive you, I will adore you and enjoy you.  I will listen and be attentive to you.  I may not agree with your perspective, but that does not alter in any way My profound affection for you.  I understand how situations and people have hurt you, and how much you need My help to move past them.  Just come to Me, and let Me come to you, and in My safe and tender arms of love all things are transformed.”
Disarmed by Perfect Love
Kindness opens up a space that frees us to be vulnerable and honest with our feelings without the fear of rejection.  God is so brilliant; He understands our hearts so well.  With His open arms of acceptance and tender eyes of compassion we can lower our self-protective walls and allow our true selves to be seen.  With one glance of His eyes, with an unveiling of His true heart to ours, we encounter unconditional grace.  When we receive tenderness and not judgment the need to guard ourselves dissolves.  We can step into that broad place of being seen and known as we really are.
Come Hungry and Receive, Freely!
The Prophet Isaiah encourages us to come hungry and open as God lavishes His unconditional love upon us.  His goodness and His tender mercies are-the only things that can truly satisfy our soul: 
“Is anyone thirsty?   Come and drink—even if you have no money!
Come, take your choice of wine or milk—it’s all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good?  Listen to me, and you will eat what is good.  You will enjoy the finest food. “Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.
Is 55:1-3 NLT
His covenant promise to you is to pour unfailing, unconditional love upon you continuously, in every situation, no matter what the circumstances.  Come and receive what has already been paid for; the only condition He makes is that you open up your heart to receive and believe!

                                                                Love,
                                                                      Pastor Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment