Thursday, July 26, 2018

Being Changed by God's Love - Rich Oliver of River Revival Network

For this week's encouraging email, I was drawn to share this piece by Rich Oliver.  Rich and his wife Lindy oversee The River Revival Network.  The pastors of Blazing Fire have their ordination through this network.  As you read this, consider how you've grown, how you've changed over time because of God's love and interactions with you.  And then, please express your gratitude and wonder!  Russ Fochler
I Am Better
by Rich Oliver

I love how God is always helping me grow....
When I get angry with someone or frustrated with their actions, I find myself taking a moment and talking to God.

What begins as my pleas for justice or complaints of criticism or cries of pain ends with me contemplating things that I could have done better, ways I could have reacted in love, ways that I carelessly spoke out of turn...

Usually, I am humbled and silenced by how much I still have left to learn.

It's so easy to get caught up in the moment.
Pride can flare up in a flash. Emotions can cloud good judgment. A perceived slight builds into a quest for retribution. All too quickly I can slip back into behavior that I know is not reflective of who I am in Christ, and Holy Spirit begins working in me.....again!

God is showing me that I am better. I don't have to give into pride, I don't have to react in turn, and I don't have to inflict pain just because I am hurting.

I am better.

I am better because God loved me enough to send His Son.
I am better because His Son chose to die for my sins.
I'm better because when I chose to accept His Son as my Savior, I received forgiveness, love, redemption, and His Holy Spirit!
On top of that, I am counted as a joint heir with Christ, I am a victor not a victim, I am a overcomer not overcome!

I am better.

As this better person, I can respond in a better way to the world around me.
I don't have to sink to the level of the world around me.
I don't have to make hasty decisions that leave lasting scars.
I'm not always the victim, but in the Power of the Holy Spirit, I can be victorious in every situation.

NO, it’s not always easy.
NO, I'm not all the way there yet.
Sometimes it literally hurts to swallow back that smart retort or respond in love to anger. But knowing God is happy with how I'm living and understanding how love can change any circumstance is helping me grow.

Knowing that I can do in HIM, makes me want to do it all the more. God's growing me... and I love it!


Rich Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment