Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Christmas Wish by Pastor Brent Lokker

How was your Christmas?  That’s a question we often get asked in these handful of days that stretch into the New Year. Let’s see…how to answer that one. 
 
Many of you experienced the joy of multiple family gatherings, but some of you were isolated and alone.  You may have experienced an odd mixture of feeling the warmth from Christmas songs you’ve known since childhood along with a tinge of sadness that certain people are no longer around so things can never be quite the same as they were.  You may have struggled with not having the same desire this year to put up all the decorations or to bake goodies while at the same time wanting to preserve certain traditions to pass along to the next generation.  Perhaps you wanted the people you love to feel special but just weren’t into the frantic gift buying that ensues each December.
 
So…How was your Christmas? It’s not such an easy answer, is it?

 
When children ask each other this question, they’re really asking, “What new toy or game or electronic device did you get?”  But as adults, for the most part we understand that the gifts aren’t the big deal. We really do. The older we get, the more our wish list of items one can buy in a store dwindle and our true wish list is something with much weightier significance.  So, while I had many special moments this Christmas (including the deeply moving Christmas Eve Eve service we shared with several other churches last Saturday), I would like to share with you my current Christmas wish list…
 
  • I wish each one of us truly knew and felt how loved we are by our heavenly Papa.
  • I wish each one of us genuinely loved ourselves with no more self-hatred or shame.
  • I wish each one of us were so healed from the deep wounds in our hearts that we were able to love each other without any weirdness…ever!
  • I wish random acts of kindness that seem to be less random this time of year would be a way of life throughout the year.
  • I wish we all were a bit more present with each other in the midst of all the things we have to do.
  • I wish all of the abundant resources around the world were able to find their way to those who need food and shelter and clothing.
  • I guess my wish list is really for more of heaven on earth until the day when heaven is our only reality and we are all gazing into the beautiful face of Jesus together.
 
I’m the first to admit I don’t always get it right, but my heart knows what it’s been created for.  I suppose this is why the older I get, the easier I cry when I hear the stories of how love is making a difference. Life is precious and life is short. Rather than that leading to a sense of panicked urgency, my prayer is that it will lead to a life that cherishes each moment and looks for ways to make someone else’s life a little bit better.
 
And if you’ve been feeling a little lonely or depressed or out of sorts, please do what you can to come join us this Saturday. Nobody there is without flaws, but we’re there together because we need each other. We really do. Our heavenly Father made us to need each other because He wanted it that way.
 
This Saturday as we embark upon a New Year, I couldn’t think of a better way to spend it than to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus together. Worship has a way of pressing the reset button of our hearts. It brings back the peace and fills us with the joy of belonging to our Father who adores us as His kids. Please come and enjoy God’s presence with us. And in the midst of 4 hours of worship (with three worship teams from 6-10 pm) there will also be the opportunity to receive encouragement from our prophetic teams as they speak out the heart of God with His truth that sets you free to be the real you. (You can find the details in the banner below.)

If you can't join us Saturday, know that wherever you are, you are never alone and you are greatly loved!
 
I declare over you that the true miracle of Christmas,
God with us
who has become
Christ in you 
will fill your love tank every day of the year!
 
With Much Love,
 
Pastor Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment