Friday, September 1, 2017

Trusting in God's Love by Pastor Russ Fochler

Trusting in God's Love
by Russ Fochler
Susan and I love the 13th chapter of the Apostle Paul’s first letter to the Corinthian church.  It is how we want to do life.  Time and time again, we’ve seen how conveying the gentleness, patience, and kindness of God has been a key for unlocking people’s hearts:
4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.  NASB
Years ago, I loved singing the worship song “Your Love Never Fails”.  It was written by Chris McClarney and is also the title song for the Your Love Never Fails Jesus Culture album.  And yet, for many years, I’ve struggled: How can I square this song along with this passage from 1 Corinthians 13 — with the scriptures about “hell” and unending torment?  I asked Holy Spirit for wisdom and then waited and watched for new understanding.
God’s love (the Greek word ἀγάπη, agápē) is indeed what Paul is describing for us in 1 Cor 13 — so we as followers of Jesus may embrace this way of being for ourselves.   I appreciate Wm. Paul Young’s definition of agape: “Self-giving, other-centered love”.  This love does not take into account a wrong suffered, bears all thing, hopes all things, and never fails (never stops!).
 Last Saturday night (August 26), I shared some of what I’ve been learning about difficult verses in many English translations about “eternal/everlasting punishment”.  I am very encouraged.  How I perceive Father God’s love is no longer tinged with what seemed to be extreme rejection and needless cruelty.  My trust and hope in God's goodness has grown.  

Here is a link to the podcast. A link to the slides for the talk (with additional slides) are also on this podcast page. http://blazingfire.podbean.com/e/to-bring-us-into-the-home-of-his-heart-russ-fochler/

If you just want to see the slides, here is a link:  https://www.slideshare.net/rfochler/to-bring-us-into-the-home-of-his-heart-russ-fochler
And if you just have a few minutes, I recommend watching this clip of Wm. Paul Young.   I used it to close the talk.  https://www.tbn.org/programs/restoring-shack/watch/restoring-shack-13  (move the slider to 23:45 and listen to about 26:30)  
With Love,
Russ
P.S. I’m aware the material here and in my talk is surprising -- and may be controversial.  Before you form an opinion, please listen to the talk, review the slides, and perhaps even watch the 2 episodes (15 and 16) of Restoring The Shack first.   Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment