Monday, September 11, 2017

Free Falling Into Him by Pastor Karena Lout

Last week our family got away to Tahoe for a few days. I always come alive when I’m in nature. I was feeling pretty adventurous and decided to make a big jump over a portion of a pool that narrowed into a canal. Well I didn’t quite make it across and ended up hitting the concrete pretty hard. Thankfully a trip to the ER wasn’t required but I did get some pretty sizable bruises, swelling and scrapes all over my legs. My kids told me afterward they were surprised that I didn’t hesitate to make such a big jump. And strangely enough, I didn’t regret it.
 
I’ve been challenging myself to not let fear dictate my decisions. I realize that I probably could’ve used a bit more wisdom before trying to leap across that pool, but I was glad that I didn’t see it as an impossibility. God’s been encouraging me to walk in this kind of faith in my relationships and also in the dreams I’m pursuing. As we live vulnerably, love wholeheartedly and take more risks, every obstacle that comes our way is an opportunity to trust Him more.
 
I love this quote by Bill Johnson, “living in regret will become your biggest regret.” I lived many years feeling regret over big decisions and small decisions. I put all of my perceived weaknesses and failures under a microscope, ready to judge through a harsh lens. Jesus began to show me that He doesn’t measure success by whether I stand or I fall down. We’re already a success because we’re loved by Him. The most courageous thing you could do is to get back up after you’ve fallen down.
 
This song, In Over My Head by Jenn Johnson has really been moving my heart lately. Here’s a portion of it:
I’m standing knee deep but I’m out where I’ve never been.
I feel you coming and I hear your voice on the wind.
Would you come and tear down the boxes that I have tried to put you in.
Let love come teach me who you are again.
Would you take me back to the place where my heart was only about you
And all I wanted was just to be with you
Come and do whatever you want to
Further and further my heart moves away from the shore
Whatever it looks like, whatever may come, I am Yours
Then you crash over me and I’ve lost control but I’m free
I’m going under, I’m in over my head.
Whether I sink, whether I swim
It makes no difference when I’m beautifully in over my head
“May you have the power to comprehend with all the saints, how wide, how long, how high and how deep His love is.” Ephesians 3:18
 
 I pray you would have the courage to leave the shore, give yourself grace to make mistakes and free fall into Jesus’ all consuming, overwhelming love for you. (He’s soft, so you’ll escape with no injuries of course, haha!)

Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment