Sunday, August 25, 2013

Encouraged by Nelson Mandela by Pastor Karena Lout

 
“You are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light.” 1 Peter 2:9

“Gracious words stream from your lips.” Psalm 45:2 NLT

I’ve been reading a really great biography on the life of Nelson Mandela. Mandela had many teachers in his life but he says the greatest of all was prison. The 27 years he spent in prison taught him self-control, discipline, maturity and focus. In prison, he learned that he couldn’t control anyone or anything. The only thing he could control was himself. He says it taught him how to be a full human being. The injustice he endured being sent to prison became the catapult to set the enslaved free, wanting to make South Africa a symbol of reconciliation. If that doesn’t inspire you, I don’t know what will!

One of the greatest lessons I’m gleaning from Nelson Mandela is that he always chooses to see the good in others. This is one of our core values at Blazing Fire: “Seeing the treasures in one another and causing each other to soar into our destinies.” This has been the foundation for all that we do and is what has caused so many to soar into all the Father has for them. When I first came to Blazing Fire, I can recall times that Pastors Brent and Suzanne spent time calling out the treasures in me before I could see it for myself. It was like hearing a new language for the first time. I’m so thankful for the life it breathed back into my heart and spirit.

One of Nelson Mandela’s values is that he views everyone as virtuous and chooses to believe the best in everyone. He believes that seeing the good in other people improves the chances that they will reveal their true, better selves. Though at times his critics have told him he’s too trusting, Mandela has chosen to take the risk anyway.

I have to admit, for me, it’s pretty easy to see the treasures in people I love, have good relationship with and even those I just met. But I feel challenged as I read about Nelson Mandela’s life. He chose to believe the best and see the treasures in even the prison guards that treated him poorly. I’m reminded of the life Jesus lived on the earth. Mandela would say that he takes emotional risks, making himself vulnerable by choosing to trust. This is an area I so want to grow in more but know it’s only through healing in my own heart first and by the Father’s tenderness and leading.

I pray that the Father would begin to show you more what treasures lie within you, that you would see yourself rightly, as He sees you. As the truth sinks in deeper, I pray that God would give you more opportunities to see the hidden treasures in people who can tend to be more challenging in your life. I pray for courage as you take steps to open your heart to trust Him at a deeper level and lots of grace in the journey!

With lots of love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment