Friday, June 28, 2013

I Got You by Pastor Karena Lout

“I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you.” John 14:18

I had a dream a few weeks ago that got my attention. In the dream, Todd and I were in an old, dilapidated house rescuing precious children who were victims of child slavery. The house was so run down that we knew it was only a matter of time before it would collapse. As we carefully carried the children out of the rubble, I suddenly realized that my purse was gone and began to panic. I told Todd that I needed to go to the bank to cancel my debit card because it was about to close. He stayed calm and said we needed to finish what we were doing and that everything would be fine. I was a little annoyed that he wasn’t worried (as if that would help). Though I was still upset by the loss, I knew what we were doing was more important and took precedence over slipping into worry about finances. After we made sure the children were all safe and in their new royal home, we went to the car where Todd found my purse hidden under the passenger seat. End of Dream.

This dream was really timely and significant for me on several levels. The part I want to highlight though is the feeling of doubt that came up that God may not provide for me as I pursue what’s in my heart. Taking risks and following your heart’s passions can sometimes be scary, especially if you’ve experienced loss or disappointment in the past as a result. But I’ve also decided in my heart that I’d rather dive full on into the ocean of adventure than sit on the shore of “what ifs”, wondering and fear. Making the choice to follow your dreams takes courage and trust but it’s so worth it! And when we also come to believe that Christ is our all-sufficiency, not only will we help a hurting world, but we’ll show them their worth as sons, not orphans. Knowing who we are as the Father’s beloved children greatly influences our beliefs about His provision in our lives.

A few weeks after I had this dream, I went to a friend’s house to pick up some items she was donating to drop off at a shelter. After we finished loading up the car, we went in and had lunch. When returning to the car, I realized I had left the door wide open with my purse sitting out by the passenger seat (just as in the dream, ironically). My friend lives on a very busy street in an area where homes have recently been burglarized. It hit me in that moment that just as in my dream, God is so covering me and taking care of me. As I left, He said these sweet words that I pray you will receive for yourself as you courageously pursue your heart’s passions.

“Keep your head close to my chest, pressed into me. I got you. You’re not doing this alone. Let me take the lead, provide for you, care for you. Your dreams originated in my heart first. I am the one who gives them flight. Rest in my love. I’ve got you and I will never let go.”

Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment