Thursday, August 22, 2024

HOW DO WE DECIDE IF HE'S GOOD? - by Karena Lout


by Karena Lout
“For the Lord is always good and ready to receive you.
He’s so loving that it will amaze you- so kind that it will astound you!”
Psalm 100:5 (TPT)
  
I’ve noticed that sometimes I struggle to truly enjoy the good things happening around me because there are also difficulties looming to get my attention. Life is often a mix of both good and hard things that co-exist. We can easily gather enough evidence to prove that God is good while simultaneously looking at challenges we’re facing and tragedies in the world to try to prove that he’s not. This tension is a good place to invite Jesus into because it’s there that he wants to meet us.
 
So much of the time we want to define our circumstances as “good or bad.” When enough time has passed, I can look back on those “bad” times in my life with thankfulness and a new perspective. I can see growth, the way Jesus held me, wiped my tears and revealed a part of his nature I wouldn’t have known otherwise. I discovered who he was as my provider when I didn’t have a place to live. I experienced him as my comforter when I lost someone. I knew him as healer when I was sick. That’s not to diminish the struggle and pain we experience. It’s an invitation to see Jesus in it with us.

“Jesus is the radiant and flawless expression of the person and intent of God.
He mirrors God’s character and exhibits his every attribute in human form.”
Hebrews 1:3 (Mirror)
 
Thankfully our circumstances don’t define us and they don’t determine whether God is good or not. God’s goodness exists because it’s who he is. Jesus built his case when he went to the cross for us. His blood is the proof. His resurrection points to a greater reality than our bad days. Our belief about his nature may get shaken but it doesn’t change who he is. That is good news. As you celebrate life’s victories, while also working through the losses that come, I pray you would experience his enduring, unchanging love through it all.
 
Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment