Thursday, February 2, 2023

TREAT STRANGERS AS SAINTS - by Karena Lout


Several years ago I was helping with a presentation about human trafficking at a high school in Oakland. A survivor who used to attend the school was sharing her very vulnerable story of being trafficked. As she was sharing, a group of guys started making fun of her, yelling obscenities and calling her horrible names. The Mama bear in me got really angry and all I could think about was how I would tell them how wrong they were after the presentation. But surprisingly, God began to soften my heart. Afterward, I approached the “ringleader” of the group and began to tell him, “You’re so much better than what you just did to that young woman. Maybe no one has ever told you this before, but I believe in you and I know one day you will see who you truly are.” Tears began to fill his eyes and he gave me a hug.
 
At times it can be easy to see what we don’t like, what we don’t agree with in those around us. Before you know it, we’ve built a case against them that we believe proves our opinions. If others agree with us, it helps justify our feelings. God recently began to show me the case He’s built for all mankind: We are created in His image and likeness, we are all His sons and daughters, every person on the earth is His treasure regardless of their mistakes and poor choices.
 
HONOR:  Accurately acknowledging someone’s God-given value. 
 

 Romans 12:13 (Mirror)
“Purpose with resolve to treat strangers as saints; pursue and embrace them with fondness as friends on equal terms of fellowship. Make yourself useful in the most practical way possible.”
Vs. 16 “Esteem everyone with the same respect; no one is more important than the other. Associate yourself with the lowly than with the lofty.
Do not distance yourself from others in your own mind.”

 
There is no hierarchy in the kingdom. The more we see each person’s God-given value; that we are all equals, we will begin to see that we are all more alike than we are different. What became evident when I spoke to the young man who angered me at that high school is that I wouldn’t be able to speak into anyone’s life that I am too busy judging. My prayer is that Jesus would continue to show you how much value He has for you and that you would see it in all those around you.
 
With Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment