Friday, May 6, 2022

The Father's Love Song

Last week was such a fun, life-giving time together as we ventured through songs from the last 5 or 6 decades (most from the late 60’s to the 90’s) to tell the astoundingly beautiful story of the prodigal son that Jesus told in Luke 15.
 
It’s probably the clearest picture Jesus used for us to understand the depths of our heavenly Father’s heart for us no matter what. And in this depiction, we’re shown that our status as God’s sons and daughters doesn’t change at any point. He is a Father who is always beckoning us back into the home of his warm heart.
 
In case you missed it or as a reminder of what you heard last week, here’s a very small sample of the highlights. As you sing these songs in your head or out loud, enjoy in a renewed way the truth of your Father’s deep and abiding love for you…no matter what!

As his son walked away with his share of the inheritance, the father watched with deep sadness knowing there would be some painful lessons he would have to learn from his choice to wander…
 
“What a fool believes he sees,
no wise man has the power to reason away”
~ Doobie Brothers
As the father watched and waited there was great hope in his heart, knowing this wasn’t the end of the story…
 
“Love will lead you back
Someday I just know that
Love will lead you back to my arms
Where you belong
I'm sure, sure as stars are shining
One day you will find me again
It won't be long
One of these days our love will lead you back”
~ Taylor Dayne
The aching loneliness in his heart began his search for what had left behind…
 
“In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
Can't stop now, I've traveled so far, to change this lonely life
I want to know what love is
I want you to show me
I want to feel what love is,
I know you can show me”
~ Foreigner
It was at this moment that he finally came to his senses…
 
I'm all out of love; I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you?
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong
~ Air Supply
When he turned the final corner to his home, he saw his father—not just waiting for him, but running towards him!
 
“So now I come to you with open arms
Nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms”
~ Journey
The Father had a huge party! My son was dead and is alive again! He was lost and is found! Let’s have a feast and celebrate!
 
There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you, come on now
Celebration! Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration! We gonna celebrate and have a good time
~ Kool & The Gang
When the older son found out his father was throwing a party for his younger brother, he was angry and refused to go inside. “My son,” the father said, “You are always with me and everything I have is yours.”  He was saying to his son…
 
I said I love you that's forever
This I promise from the heart, mhm-mmh
I couldn't love you any better
I love you just the way you are

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard, mhm-mmh
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are
~ Billy Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment