Friday, September 10, 2021

What Does Your Spirit Know To Be True?

We’re all feeling the heaviness of what’s going on in the world right now to one degree or another with the lingering pandemic, floods, fires, wars, and rumors of wars, not to mention what may be happening personally in your own life. This may seem like a pretty discouraging way to start an encouraging article, but it’s also real and being real is important as God teaches us to stay connected to the truth of his heart in every circumstance.
 
What wars with the peace of God’s truth is mostly the way we’re processing our never-ending stream of thoughts. Our minds have a great tendency to battle and worry, even though Jesus compelled us not to:
 
Jesus taught his disciples, saying, “Listen to me. Never let anxiety enter your hearts...don’t ever be afraid, dearest friends! Your loving Father joyously gives you his kingdom with all its promises!”
(Luke 12:22,32 TPT)
 
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
(John 16:33 NIV)
 
What things? What did Jesus just tell his followers so we would rest in his peace? They come from the previous chapter, John 15:
  • “I am the vine you are the branches.”
  • “As the Father has loved me so I love you. Remain (rest) in my love.”
  • “I call you my friends.”
  • “I have chosen you!”
  • “You will bear much fruit.”
  • “I will send the Holy Spirit to you to be your Advocate”
 
God is Training Us Right Now!
 
Our Father is lovingly training us to see and to know his goodness, over and above the ways we might judge what we think on our own. I’ve found a tremendous release and peace lately by placing my hands over my head and down over my face while saying, “I release everything I think I know.” Like a chalkboard eraser removing the myriad of notes in my mind of the many conclusions I’ve come to, I’m much more able to feed on what my spirit knows to be true, being directly fed by God’s Spirit.
 
Our own competing thoughts leave less and less room for resting in the truth of our Father and his kingdom. These competing thoughts are a by-product of choosing to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil—independently relying on our own reasoning—which we all do more frequently than we’re aware. Here’s an important question you should then ask: “How can I tell what are my own independent-from-God thoughts?” Here are a few indicators:
  • They tend to bring fear
  • They can make you feel overwhelmed and discouraged
  • They work and work a problem with no real solutions
  • They often lead to disconnection with other people
 
None of these would be the fruit of God’s Spirit in your life.
 
As God’s Spirit teaches us how to pay attention to what our spirit actually knows to be true, the peace and joy Jesus promised returns. Feasting on life-giving truth sounds like this:
  • “You are my tenderhearted Father!”
  • “You are astoundingly good!”
  • “I am one with you and that can never be undone!”
  • “You have made a covenant promise to always be for me and never against me!”
  • “My life with you is rich and blessed!”
 
When we look into the strong and steady eyes of Jesus, we see his love and we live in his courage. We remember that we are the light of the world just as Jesus said, and we know that our very dear Father is caring for us perfectly!
 
What does your spirit know to be true?

Love, Pastor Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment