Thursday, June 21, 2018

Perpetual Sadness Is Not Your Lot - by pastor Todd Lout

We are all going to face some sadness in our lives, of course.  Pixar’s Inside Out does a great job of depicting how a little sadness is compatible with Joy, actually causing joyful moments to stand out more.  The Bible even tells us to empathize, “Mourn with those who mourn.” (Romans 12:15) One of Holy Spirit’s names is The Comforter.  He wouldn’t have that name if we didn’t deal with sadness. There should be no shame in the fact that we experience sad feelings at times.

In as much as this is a part of the human life, our Father does not desire that sadness is our constant companion.  Recently, as I was doing some yard work, Holy Spirit pointed something out to me about this in my own life.  I was fresh back from being in Uganda and definitely missing people, missing their way of relating to others and just having some difficulty with the culture shift back to America.  This was very much on my mind out there in the yard.  It was so much so that I started talking to God about it, asking for some relief.  Somewhere in that time with Him, He told me that I actually have “perpetual sadness” to a certain degree.  That took me by surprise, but I began to look backward and realized that I had subconsciously accepted a low hum (if you will) of constant sad feelings as my normal.  I actually sat at a table and got intentional about pinpointing why this would be, and what I had those feelings over.  To keep this short I’ll simply say that a list was formed, and on it were mostly things I didn’t really trust God with in my life.  Repentance was at the table with me and also further conversation where God let me know that it’s not good to accept sadness as a constant companion, to any degree.  He also impressed on me, “Most of you have this and don’t even think about it being something you can be rid of....but you can.”

It goes without saying that we all have various sources of sadness and we should never, ever judge anyone else for whatever brought on their time of being sad.  In fact, if we do that, that in itself, will cause us to be sad. As for yourself, try taking a look at what it is that made these feelings come on.  Some are very obvious, but some might be hidden.  For example, if we have gone ahead and accepted a certain sin to persist, convincing ourselves that it’s not really a big deal, that could certainly be the source of a companion such as sadness.  God will absolutely help you with this list, highlighting things to you, because He wants it to be resolved. He wants our freedom.  He wants our whole heart because He desires us.

Now, we know, according to Revelation 21:4, that sadness will be wiped away from us permanently, again acknowledging it’s existence here and there.  THAT is going to be a wonderful day!  But, while we are here, God offers relief and even urges us to give it to Him and keep going in His joy, which makes us strong. (Nehemiah 8:10)  He actually designed us to be able to contain and distribute His fruit of the Spirit, Joy.  Furthermore, in Proverbs 17:22 we’re informed that allowing that joy to be in operation will actually give our bodies good health and that staying gloomy makes us tired and weak. 

Here I’m going to include a short list of helps / remedy methods, some spiritual and some natural, that can really offer relief and freedom:
 
  • SURROUND YOURSELF WITH TRUTH – Listen to fresh testimonies of God’s goodness – Read your Bible with Holy Spirit – Create a timeline of the good events that have taken place because you exist. (It’s A Wonderful Life)
  • CULTIVATE THANKFULNESS – Look at what is going right - Think on the good reports in your life (Philippians 4:8-9)
  • WORSHIP JESUS – When you declare God’s greatness it scoots other thoughts and feelings away.  We are designed to worship Him, thus when we do, we are becoming more of our real self.  Also, you’re tapping into what’s going on in Heaven and there is no sadness there.
  • MAKE SURE TO HAVE AN OUTLET FOR YOUR PASSIONS – Don’t allow your schedule or other people’s opinions to override taking some time to do what makes you feel alive.  (For me it’s creating something, gardening, designing and helping people)
  • USE CONFESSION – Your mouth is very powerful! God created the world with His.  Jesus spoke life into Lazarus with His.  Speak what you want, not what you don’t want to happen.
  • PRAY IN TONGUES – We utter God’s mysteries, perfect truths that our own reason can’t fight with.  It edifies your spirit and you are a spirit in a body!
  • REMEMBER – God told the Israelites (on their way to the promise land) to put “stones of remembrance” along the way when great things happen.  He knew that the craziness we will face here and there will try to snuff out our memories of His goodness so He asked for some intentionality.  We still need to do that; journal, record...
  • MEDITATE – “As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”  “Whatever things are of good report, think on these things”  Our mind is a battlefield and our defense is God and His truth, not grumpy thoughts of lack and revenge.
  • BELIEVE THAT GOD REALLY IS PERPETUALLY GOOD – We sing it and say it and even have plaques with it written across the front...but we still need to truly, to the core, believe it.  This will absolutely break away sadness.
  • CULTIVATE INTIMACY WITH GOD – Don’t hide!  He sees anyway, but wants your invitation to prove His love, even in your worst.  PSALMS 18:20-24 tells us this; “God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before Him.  When I got my act together, He gave me a fresh start.  Now I’m alert to God’s ways; I don’t take God for granted.  Every day I review the ways He works; I try not to miss a trick.  I feel put back together, and I’m watching my step.  God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heat to His eyes."
Friends, I pray for you to be free from sadness being your constant.  I pray that it will not dampen your life and ability to function as our perfect Father truly designed us to; in victory with Him.

                                                                           Love, Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment