Thursday, August 14, 2014

Casting All Our Cares Upon Him - By Bill Hernandez - Blazing Fire Overseer

I tend to be a worrier sometimes becoming obsessed by a situation where I fear the worse possible outcome. It's called catastrophizing. I was relieved when I discovered the behavior actually had a name and that in essence it meant my state of mind was not unique. We all catastrophize to one degree or another. The origins vary, some of it may be inherited, some of it learned from being raised in a non nurturing environment, some as a result of spiritual attacks and so many other ways. The end result is discouragement, hopelessness, anxiety and general suffering that affects us emotionally or physically. Some of us go through phases where it comes and goes without rhyme or reason just like when heavy traffic on the freeway mysteriously clears with few cars in sight. There is a relief and hope from this emotional roller coaster ride and it takes a bit of being preemptive. The definition of preemptive: "Taken as a measure against something possible, anticipated, or feared; preventive; deterrent."

The solution is simple. In I Peter 5:7, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your care upon Him, because He cares for you..." It takes an act of humility by giving the situation to Him and acknowledging and knowing that He is genuinely involved with everything that concerns us. Easier said than done. I've been working on this for decades, but it can be easier now as I have slowly learned. We will all make progress as we practice casting our cares upon Him. Why can it take so long? We each have unique backgrounds that can take a lifetime of unraveling, but it does say in Isaiah 40:28, "He will not grow tired or weary..." He really cares!

What does it look like to cast our cares upon Him? I've done it symbolically by imagining a stone in my hand as being the problem and then I throw it into the sea and say, "I give this to You Lord." I sometimes place my hand over my heart and pretending I'm pulling something out, I gesture into the air away from myself to the Lord and give the issue to Him. Journaling can help because in a way the paper is the sounding board or my confessor/confidant and I try to be as honest as I can with what I am feeling. When I am done the anxiety can really clear. Similarly you can do this with a trusted friend or counselor. You can talk with the Lord as well. I imagine Him sitting in a chair at home and I rattle off all that I am feeling. In a way, you are expelling all the stuff that is swirling around in your heart and once you are done, then it's very important to be silent and wait. He will speak and offer solutions or just say kind and affirming things. The enemy has no place in this intimate moment with the Lord.

Does it always work to cast our cares upon Him? Sometimes it takes several applications. Sometimes it has to be renewed daily or hourly and especially if it's something deeply serious and disturbing. I know emotional pain and heartbreak often takes time to heal. Most of us have been through really tough things. The hope is that we really have someone on our side rooting for us and drawing our hearts up into becoming men and women of sublime valor and serene character eternally nestled comfortably in the arms of our great Lover.

We inherited eternal life through the work of the cross. As a result we became the possession of the Lord in which He took ownership of all of who we are including our cares. His tender love bathes us daily as it says in Lamentations 3:22-33, "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

We are not alone, we are adored by the most important person in the universe who is attentive. He checks in daily with fresh goodness for our sakes because He cares for us His beloved.

Love and Blessings!
Bill Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment