Saturday, July 12, 2014

Do it Again, Daddy! by Pastor Brent Lokker

I’ve loved playing with my boys at every age of their young lives, but some of my most tender memories are of my interactive play with them in their early toddler years, when I would show them my love and affection mainly through my touch and eye contact. We could play a simple game over and over again without it ever getting old, like when I would lie flat on my back and hold them straight up above me with outstretched arms, face-to-face, so that our twinkling eyes locked onto each other. After an anticipatory moment of waiting in that position, I would quickly collapse my arms and engulf them into my chest. They would squeal with delight and I would giggle right along with them in utter joy! Theywould say to me, “Do it again, Daddy!” I needed no coaxing. I would immediately hoist them up for another round of affectionate play. Just thinking about it all these years later instantly brings me back to the sweetness of those adorable toddlers of mine, making me laugh all over again.

My boys didn’t have to twist my arm to make me do that. They didn’t beg me and bug me until I somehow relented against my will. No. The truth is, I wanted to have fun with them, because I absolutely loved being with them and laughing with them. They couldn’t keep me away even if they tried (which, of course, they didn’t). At first,I had to initiate the playful love because they hadn’t experienced it before, so how could they know? Once I gave them the experience of how much fun I could be, there were times when they would approach me and initiate the playful encounters. Either way, it was every bit as fun for me as it was for them.

How much more your heavenly Father enjoys you! His tender affection for you isn’t something He has to conjure up, and He certainly isn’t waiting for you to beg Him to give you some attention. This is the way Papa’s heart always is toward you. He had to initiate true love first or you wouldn’t even know what it was. But the more you experience His genuine affection, the more you learn to initiate fun times with him. Either way, your Papa adores you.

Wild horses couldn’t drag Him away from you! He wants to be with you—not just for this moment— but for every moment throughout all eternity.

(This is an excerpt from Brent's book, Daddy You Love Me: Living in the Approval of Your Heavenly Father) www.DaddyYouLoveMe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment