Thursday, February 18, 2021

What Does It Mean To Be Jesus' Apprentice?

Another way to look at being a disciple of Jesus is to be his apprentice which means we are learning directly from him. When I finished college, I became an intern working with Junior High students at my church. I learned from our Youth Pastor, Scott, who I met with a few times per week where we talked about life and ministry. But even more impactful was what I learned by watching how engaging he was with teenagers, how he shared a message with sincerity, how he treated his wife with love and honor and even how he taught me with patience and a touch of humor at times. I was Scott’s apprentice and by the end of that year, I made the decision to go to seminary and become an ordained minister.
 
In the same way, Jesus has invited us to be his apprentice, his disciple, his student learning directly from him by seeing (in the Bible) how he lived life as a human who was totally yielded to the Father’s will and empowered by Holy Spirit. Since Jesus is very much alive, we are still learning from him today. This is why it’s so important that each one of us has a vibrant relationship with Jesus and learns how he communicates with us. Often, Jesus will give us greater insight into what we can already read in the Bible.
 
Let me give you an example. We read these words from our master Jesus in Luke 4:18-19:
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
 
This is an amazing passage of what Jesus came to do, but when we start understanding that he is teaching us everything he did as well as empowering us to do the same, that changes how we read the Bible, doesn’t it?  And instead of putting pressure on ourselves to try to do everything in our own power (which isn’t possible anyway), we ask our Teacher and Master, Jesus, to live his life through us!
 
So, read the above passage from Luke again, only this time ask Jesus to teach you as you read. For example, when I read the first phrase, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,” I immediately sense from Jesus that I have to start from that place as well—total agreement that I am already filled with God’s Spirit so everything else that follows will be the good fruit of a life yielded to Holy Spirit, just like Jesus lived while on the earth.
 
Now, you keep going with the rest of the verse. Jesus will help you and give you more understanding. Just ask him!
 
And enjoy the journey of discovery of the freedom that will come as you learn to live life in the Spirit!
 
Love,
 Pastor Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment