Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Guarding Our Hearts

Several days ago, before I was fully awake, I heard Holy Spirit say, “Guard your heart.” If you haven’t noticed, this year has brought about many differing opinions in our world, whether it be who to vote for, wearing masks and the list goes on. I’ve had my own convictions and thoughts but I haven’t voiced them much; except with close friends and family. I didn’t think I was allowing offense or divisive thoughts in. But in His kindness, Jesus began to show me ways that my opinions have become walled cities. This “fortress of personal opinions” slowly gets built around us and around the church and the world has no desire to see what’s behind it. Jesus has been asking me to lay down any need to be right for the sake of relationship. After all, only He is always right and thankfully He is bigger than the boxes we try to build around Him.
 

 “So above all, guard the affections of your heart, for they affect all that you are.
Pay attention to the welfare of your innermost being, for from there flows the wellspring of life.”
Proverbs 4:23

 
In John 2, Jesus tells the religious leaders to destroy the temple and He will raise it up again in three days. They were offended and scoffed at Him since it took them 46 years to build. But Jesus was referring to His death and resurrection. The temple is His body. Like the religious leaders, it can feel painful to realize we’ve spent many years building something that we thought was substantial, of huge worth, only to find that it wasn’t really built on the solid foundation of Jesus. This can be our dreams, ideas, thoughts, opinions or our belief system. God has been revealing things in my heart that I unknowingly built on sinking sand. This is a season of rebuilding for many. But take courage! Jesus has given Himself as our new foundation that won’t crumble under the weight of any shaking.
 
God only reveals the vulnerable areas of our heart because He’s so faithful to heal them. He knows how offense, judgements and criticism can damage our hearts and cloud our vision. It doesn’t usually happen overnight. It slips in there subtly over time. This is a great time to be much more intentional in guarding your heart. I’ve been checking in with Jesus daily and asking if I’ve gotten off the path He has for me and away from His way of doing things. 
 
I gave a challenge during our livestream last Saturday that I’d love to encourage you with too:

Ask Jesus to show you how He sees and feels about someone who is completely different than you. This may even be someone (or a group of people) who you’ve judged or been offended by.
 
We all have different life experiences and stories that shape how we view the world but there is room for all to have a seat at the table. You are each needed, valued, loved.
 

“It is in Him that we are ONE and at peace with everyone; He dissolved every definition of division. In that He died mankind’s death, all grounds for tension and hostility were entirely removed. The peace He proclaims reveals one new human race, created and defined in Christ, instead of two groups of people separated by their ethnic identity and differences.”
Ephesians 2:14-15 (Mirror Study Bible)

 
With so much love and gratitude for you, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment