Thursday, February 22, 2024

What Are We Surrendering To? - by Sarah Eom


The word ‘surrender’ used to scare me.  I felt it meant resigning to some bad, painful or uncomfortable circumstance and being ok with it.  A while ago, I had a physical symptom that was very bothersome and debilitating.  A few loving and wise people suggested that I ‘surrender’ this to the Lord.  I thought that meant that I accept the status quo and be ok with never getting better.  I tried but just could not do that!  Then I felt bad that I couldn’t. I felt  my inability to surrender was because I didn’t love and trust God enough.  The result was I now had shame to deal with as well as the original symptom.

Then recently, I realized something that I believe is from the Holy Spirit.  The surrendering I am to do is not to the situation.  I am not surrendering to the problem.  Jesus was never a victim of his circumstances and neither is he calling us to.  Instead, I am being asked to take my focus, even for the moment, off the problem and turn my attention to God.  I was being invited to surrender to Him.  You see,  I was barking up the wrong tree by trying to surrender to the problem.

Do you feel you are being invited to surrender?  Does the prospect scare you?   It’s ok.  There is no shame in that.  Just remember that you are not surrendering to a dreaded future or a difficult present.  You are giving yourself over to God’s goodness and mercy.  You are yielding to Jesus who is called ‘Faithful and True.’  You are surrendering to the enough-ness of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment