Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Light That Leads Us Home

Recently a good friend of mine was praying for me. She (and Holy Spirit) acknowledged times in my life as a young teenager that I had to make some very difficult decisions without any guidance. These were painful and traumatic experiences. I didn’t know how to ask for help and I didn’t know who to ask even if I could. Since Todd and I have become foster parents, we’ve found many children and teens in the system have the same difficulty. They often feel they have to be overly responsible and have trouble acknowledging when they need help because they’ve become so accustomed to caring for themselves. 
A few years ago, Jesus said to me, “I don’t only want to be your Savior. I want to be your King.” He wants to lead us. Our American culture often gives us the message that we need to be self sufficient and muscle our way through life. It requires a great deal of vulnerability to invite Jesus to lead. Control can appear more appealing than trust because it gives us a false illusion of protection, especially during these times of uncertainty. I’ve found that surrendering areas of my life and in my heart that still feel “in process” can be scary. But Jesus continually reminds me that my unanswered questions are just as important as the answers I’ve already been given. He wants to meet us in the middle of our stories, in the middle of our “messy” and guide us through. 
 “I will stay close to you, instructing and guiding you along the pathway for your life.
I will advise you along the way and lead you forth with my eyes as your guide.
So don’t make it difficult; don’t be stubborn when I take you where you’ve not been before.
Don’t make me tug you and pull you along. Just come with me!”
Psalm 32:8-9 (TPT)
“The government will rest on His shoulders. And He will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:6
When you know the true nature of Jesus, inviting Him to be your King is the safest place to be. For those who don’t know the goodness of who He is yet, there is an uncertainty about how He will use His power. In the earthly sense, we sometimes associate power with control or even abuse. But Jesus always uses His power to heal, to love and to make all things work together for our good. We may not fully understand His ways, but when we know His true nature, surrendering becomes much more inviting. 
I pray that in the middle of uncertainty and unanswered questions, you would find Jesus lighting your path. I pray you would have courage to acknowledge any area that self sufficiency has taken the driver’s seat and allow Jesus to show you a different way. Your needs are valid. You don’t have to muster up strength and do life alone. Jesus is right there to guide you, to care for you, to lead you back home. 
Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment