Friday, March 8, 2019

From Disciple to Son by pastor Susan Fochler

“Do you love Me?”
The question came a third time, and something made Peter hesitate before he responded.  Tears welled up as he got in touch with a deeper place in his heart than Peter normally cared to feel.  There was hurt, there was regret, there was tenderness but also, surprisingly,  authenticity.  The tears of pain gave way to tears of joy as Peter realized he could, with a whole heart, respond, “Yes, I love you, Lord!”  And looking into Jesus’s smile, he realized Jesus had known this truth all along, but it was vitally important that Peter knew it for himself. 

Peter’s Transformation
I don’t know whether the scene played out exactly that way, but I know it had a significant role in restoring Peter’s confidence to help lead the move of God that was about to visit the first century church.  The brash, self-centered young man who often tried to tell Jesus what to do now had to confront his mistakes and the bitter disappointment of Christ’s brutal death.  Peter’s well-laid plans had all failed.  There were no options left other than to remain in denial or to humble himself and accept that Jesus had died for all, and that was His plan, all along.
Peter chose humility and acceptance.  He became a son, no longer just a disciple.  He was now well positioned to be able to flow with the Holy Spirit with love and with power, because it was no longer all about Peter but about God’s Kingdom and His will coming to earth.

Accepting what He did for Us - Completely
C.S. Lewis says something very profound when he states that “the ultimate law of the spiritual realm” is that “Jesus saved others, but couldn’t save Himself”.  We can work really hard at trying to “fix” ourselves and the situations we find ourselves in.  We justify, numb, pretend or play the victim.  I don’t like to admit I’m wrong, and I sure don’t like it when someone else wrongs me.  But if Jesus couldn’t save Himself, then I can’t save myself either.  Armoring up with faulty belief systems that keep me from allowing Him access to my heart only hurts me, and the people around me.  But in humbling myself and accepting His love even in areas I feel undeserving, I am made whole.

I pray we all come to know the amazing power-and simplicity-of the love of God in new ways in this coming season!  We need it and He’s worth it!

With Much Love,
Susan
 
Click here to listen to my talk

No comments:

Post a Comment