Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Little Patience Please by Pastor Todd Lout

The other morning an interesting, and rather humbling, thing happened at the gym.  Having just climbed stairs in place for 15 minutes, I made my way over to the next set of machines I like to use.  When I got there I could see that both of them were occupied so I changed up my stubborn routine to wait.  I spent a little time on the chest workout machine, which is positioned such that I can keep an eye on those other machines I was waiting for.  While there I could see that both people, whose backsides laid claim on those two machines, were not actually using them, but were staring at their phones…and staring at them…and staring at them…and staring at them, all while sitting on MY machines!
There I was, sitting on that chest machine, starting to get all judgey, impatient and crabby and trying to use my eyes as an unfruitful poking stick to knock those two off of those machines.  I mean, how dare they take up all this time at a machine that someone else, (who they don’t even realize is there, giving them the eye from across the room), wants to use it?!?
Then I felt something.  I felt a something coming towards me that was very familiar because it was the very something that I was doing, pertaining to those two ladies across the room.  There was a guy staring ME down.  He was staring me down because he wanted to use the machine I was sitting on, not using because I was sitting there judging other people for the same thing!  When I realized this I was apologetic, “Oh, I’m sorry.  I’m finished with this one.”, and left my perch….or judgement seat. 
When I walked away I heard Holy Spirit in my heart, “Ya’ll do this in many areas of life.  You waste time being overly concerned with what other people are doing.  Doing wrong and otherwise.  All the while you aren’t moving forward.  You could have followed My lead on things, gotten My heart, My energy and wisdom.  Instead, you stay in one place and often duplicate the very things you don’t like…..but I love you all and I’m still here saying, ‘Come up here.  Come up now.’”
Also, I was reminded of Matthew 7:1 - 5 (The message tells it more like I talk)
“Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? It’s this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.
Here’s what this little incident spoke to me: “Toddy, remember that you have the fruit of the Spirit in you.  Patience and Kindness are two of them.  Let’s focus on those a bit more for the rest of today. I’m so proud of you for listening and being willing to grow.”  This was one of those times where I felt HIS correction and I welcomed it, knowing He has the best in mind for me.  Oh how He loves His kids so so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment