Friday, May 23, 2014

Love Looks Like Something by Brent Lokker

One of the amazing privileges I’ve had is to go out with other believers to the streets of San Francisco late at night to bring a warm meal and a kind word of God’s love and acceptance to the homeless who are huddled in doorways or along back alleys. One particularly impactful experience for me occurred on my very first venture out. Feeling somewhat unsure of ourselves, our group approached several homeless men who were sheltered in the entryway of a store long after closing time, the smell of urine lingering. The men were jovial with us, clinging to their alcoholic beverages of choice concealed in crinkled-up brown paper bags. We handed out prepared meals to the grateful men. While pouring out a cup of hot coffee to an outstretched trembling hand, I was suddenly drawn to the side, where another of their group was lying flat on the ground, intoxicated beyond the ability to sit up or stand with his friends.

I approached him, knelt down to be close to his face, and asked, “Do you want something to eat?” His closed eyes flickered open for a moment, attempting to focus on the face of this unfamiliar voice that was addressing him. Without uttering a word, his eyes closed again and he retreated to his inebriated, semi-conscious state. Undeterred and filled with an inexpressible compassion for this young man, I leaned in closer and said in a soft and warm tone, “You have a Father in heaven who loves you with all His heart.”

I wondered if my words were registering with this man in his present condition, but I continued. “God hasn’t forgotten you. He’s with you all the time and He is always for you.” Still no response or acknowledgement of my affirming words. Yet somehow I knew that my voice of hope was not falling on deaf ears. “He’s so proud to call you His son,” I told him. In that instant a tear welled up in his eyes and rolled down his cheek. He opened his eyes again, this time with more clarity, and looked directly into my eyes with an expression of shame mixed with hope.

I could almost hear his thoughts pleading, Could this possibly be true?

Peering into his precious soul through the gateway of his eyes, I reiterated the truth of the Father’s acceptance and approval. He never actually spoke a word to me, but his eyes communicated his sincere gratitude, and there was a glimmer of hope that had not been present before. I prayed a blessing of peace over his heart before our team continued on in our journey to encounter others who needed food for their stomachs and hope for their souls. I will probably never know on this side of heaven what impact those words of the Father’s love and acceptance had on that young man, but I know they weren’t wasted.

Love is never wasted, because love always wins!

Our Papa of love says:

Rain and snow fall from the sky. But they don’t return without watering the earth that produces seeds to plant and grain to eat.That’s how it is with my words. They don’t return to me without doing everything I send them to do. (Isaiah 55:10–11 CEV)

Every person on the planet is hungry for love. Who can you love today?

This is an excerpt from Brent Lokker's book, Daddy, You Love Me: Living in the Approval of Your Heavenly Father(www.DaddyYouLoveMe.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment