Thursday, November 9, 2023

REMAIN CONNECTED IN MYSTERY AND DOUBT - by Karena Lout

Recently I found myself questioning why there are so many tragic things happening in the world. I felt so burdened that I was having difficulty sleeping or functioning during the day. When there’s a demand for answers, there can be a tendency to slip into religious reasoning or definitive boxes why. We can even use scripture to justify why there’s suffering in the world. The psalms are all about David’s wrestle with God.
But he continually invited him into that place with him.
 
The father of the young boy who was being tormented by the enemy says in Mark 9:24,
“I do believe but help me overcome my unbelief.”
Often times both coexist in our hearts. A part of him believed Jesus could heal his son but his pain and disappointment was clouding that.
 
I have many people in my life who are struggling with their faith and questioning God.
Their process of “deconstruction” may seem scary to many believers but if we take time to lean in and listen, I believe God is moving in ways we might not understand yet.
I’ve found a few helpful things to remember as we walk with people through this:
 

*Listen to understand what’s really going on without judgement or an agenda to try to change their mind. Only Jesus can do that, not our good theology or answers.

*Empathize and validate pain. Sometimes we dismiss people’s experience because it’s not our own or it makes us uncomfortable.

*Don’t retreat. When we stay connected, we’re communicating that our relationship isn’t based on beliefs but our love for them.
 
Mystery and unanswered questions are just as important as revelation. Because mystery is often where faith finds a foundation in our hearts. Jesus isn’t put off by our lack of faith,
our questions, even our doubt. He is present with us in our mountaintop experiences and equally present in our valley of doubt and pain.

I invite you to receive this prayer over your heart today:

 
“I am contending for you that your hearts will be wrapped up in the comfort of heaven and woven together into love’s fabric. This will give you access to all the riches of God as you experience the revelation of God’s great mystery- Christ! For our spiritual wealth is in him, like hidden treasure waiting to be discovered- heaven’s wisdom and endless riches of revelation knowledge.” Colossians 2:2-3 (TPT)
 
 Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment