Thursday, September 2, 2021

Spirit & Truth

When Jesus told the woman at the well that He was looking for people who worship, not just in special places or at specific times, but in “spirit and in truth”, He was speaking to all of us.  We read the Bible and listen to the preaching of the word because it helps us understand the truth.  However, we need our spirit to commune with Holy Spirit in order to bring that truth to life.  Otherwise, when we use an informational and not a relational-based approach to God’s word, we will tend to turn His principles of life into legalistic rules and regulations.  

There have been times when I’ve read the word as I would read any other piece of literature and it has seemed dry and lifeless.  But when I engage with my spirit and allow the truth to penetrate the deep places of my soul, I can feel the sweetly piercing, refreshing clarity that’s described in Hebrews 4:12, here in the Passion Translation:  

For we have the living Word of God, which is full of energy, like a two-mouthed sword.
It will even penetrate to the very core of our being where soul and spirit, bone and marrow meet!  
It interprets and reveals the true thoughts and secret motives of our hearts.

One time, when I felt in a bit of a funk, I started looking through scriptures to find something I could relate to.  That usually lands me in one of the Psalms, often something David wrote.  He’s such a relatable guy, with bigger problems than I’ve ever had to work through!  On this particular day I felt shut down and numb, and felt guilty about it.  I came across Psalm 73:22 & 23 which says this, “I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You.  Nevertheless I am continually before You”.   “Nevertheless” jumped off the page at me.  

Nevertheless means in spite of.  In spite of my behavior, my attitude, whatever circumstances I found myself in, however I view myself; in spite of any mistake I might have made, He would be with me.  Every time.  God was saying that no matter what, I could count on Him being right there when I need Him.  That single word still touches me deeply and reminds me there is never a time Jesus won’t show up for me.  

His promise is that His word is sent to us from heaven, and  “will accomplish what He desires and will succeed in the matter for which He sends it”,  Isaiah 55:11.  May your spirit continue to meet truth in the depths of your soul as Jesus, with you, bears great fruit in the garden of your heart!

With much love;
                        Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment