Friday, December 11, 2020

Rose - Colored Glasses

Recently, in a comments section of an article I wrote on the nature of God, a fella by the name of Don disagreed with my “God Lens”—on how I saw God and the world—and asked me a challenging question:

     “Jason, I wonder if your ‘god lens’ isn’t just a pair of rose-colored glasses. People have always made gods to their own liking. Historically, God has eventually pulled out His gun and shot them…”

In the article, I had asserted that Jesus is what God is like and He never once used a gun, He never once sought to punish or control us.

Don continued…

     "I can’t help but believe that what God says about Himself trumps all of our ‘god lens’ observations. I know this sounds harsh, but it takes a bright light to cut through all the smoke you’re generating. I know God loves you and I know you want to love Him, but can you love Him even if He offends your sensitivities? I don’t expect this comment to stay on your site for long but that’s ok. It was meant for you to read.”

This was my response…

     “Don, unkindness, offensive or graphic language, or argument just for the sake of argument are really the only comments that we would pull off the site. You haven’t offended my sensitivities.

      I think my ‘god lens’ is different than your ‘god lens.’

     Historically, man has given God the credit for all kinds of horrific things.

     Historically, and theologically, man has put a gun in God’s hand and given Him credit for all the pulled triggers: Natural disasters, wars, sickness, poverty; Historically man has attributed these things to God.

     But, historically Jesus revealed that God played no part in the destruction of man.

     Historically, Jesus revealed He had not “come to destroy men’s lives but to save them” (Luke 9:56).

     When it comes to what He’s like, my ‘god lens’ is Jesus on a cross revealing His heart for us and our value to Him.

     You are correct, it does take a bright light to cut through all the smoke. Jesus is that bright light. God is love, and He is way better than we think He is.

     The goodness of God has been offending the sensitivities of man’s understanding since the fall.

     There is one constant in my life: God is love, just like Jesus, and better than I think He is. If those are rose-colored glasses, then I’m guilty as charged.

     Don, I am wide open to being offended by God, but in my life, when I have been offended by God, it’s not been by how bad God is, it’s been by how good He is in light of how poorly I thought of Him.

     Whenever I have been offended by God, it’s because He is better than how I have historically perceived Him. And when that’s happened, I’ve repented. And then somewhere along the way, I’ve written about my discovery.

     I continue to grow ever-more convinced in His always-good love. And I’ve found that sometimes it’s offensive to folks. But I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and hope my response doesn’t offend you.

     God bless you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment