Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Power of Jesus to Transform by Pastor Brent Lokker

Jesus gave his life for me long before I had any awareness of his indescribable gift. I was a portion of the joy set before him when he endured the cross (Hebrews 12:2). I gave my life to Jesus when I was 12 years old. I didn’t yet know the joys I would experience by being his but I did know my decision was significant. A camp counselor led me in a prayer of accepting Jesus’ sacrificial gift of forgiveness and at that moment I felt a wave of warmth around the area of my heart and tears welled up in my eyes because of something wonderful that had taken place.

To this day, I don’t remember the counselor’s name, but I can picture his short, muscular, stocky frame and his distinctly red hair. I have thanked God for him on many occasions knowing that his choice to lead me into a deep friendship with Jesus as my Savior and my Lord dramatically changed the course and the quality of my life forever. There will be a day on the other side of this earthly life when I will meet this man again and express my deep gratitude for the transaction that took place that day—Jesus taking from me my old sin nature (Col 2:11) I had inherited from Adam and brining to life his glorious Spirit within me in its place. I know the Bible says there will be no more tears in heaven but whatever the equivalent of joyful tears is in heaven is going to take place that day.

Though I’ve had many moments along the way when I’ve temporarily forgotten this transaction, Jesus never has! He was not only my Savior in a moment when I was 12 years old, but He’s been the Savior I’ve needed every single day of my life!

I think if we all could reflect on how much more destructive and empty our lives would have been without Jesus and remember the umpteen times he has restored us to life-giving repentance through his kindness (Romans 2) so we would enjoy more and more of his peace and freedom, we would more readily step out to be that unnamed, red-headed man to another who’s life will be changed forever by being introduced to their Savior Jesus.

Ask God for his eyes to see those around you who need Jesus. Share your own story of how being loved and forgiven by him has transformed you. Yes, we are all still in process, but your story is more powerful than you know.  Honestly, we’ve often made evangelism a weird, uncomfortable thing because we’ve been thinking we have to say the right thing to get someone to pray a certain prayer. The simple truth is we are inviting people to encounter the forgiving, life-restoring Jesus—to have a deep friendship that will dramatically change the course and the quality of their lives forever!
   
                                                           With Love, Pastor Brent
In last Saturday’s message, Resurrection Celebration, Pastor Brent demonstrates the reality of Jesus’ resurrection through the testimony of scripture and you will hear Marilyn Ga’s gripping testimony of how Jesus completely rescued and restored her by that same dunamis power.
Click to listen to Resurrection Celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment