Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Adding Your Value by Pastor Karena Lout

“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others
and to give His life as a ransom for many.” Matt. 20:28

 
I love that Jesus used His authority to love and serve. He didn’t lord it over His disciples as a cruel task master, but He demonstrated the heart of our Father. He paid the highest price and laid His life down for us. Who wouldn’t want to follow a King like that?!
 
Making Room
There’s no doubt that Jesus is moving in the earth. He wants His kids back and many are finding their way home. We’re seeing this happen at our Refuge young adult group on Thursday nights. Over the last year, we’ve had countless young people show up on our doorstep, searching for the real, tangible love of Jesus. Todd and I have felt challenged to make room for what God wants to do, not only in our home, but in our every day lives and in our hearts. It’s not always easy or convenient but it’s always worth it.
 
 A Challenge for the Church/ We’re Family
 When we view church as a business, we often ask, “What can I get? How is this going to benefit me as a consumer?” When we view the church as a family, we ask the question, “What can I give? What’s my part in adding value to what God is doing?” God’s intention has always been for the church to be a family. I’ve found that there are some beliefs that often hinder us from stepping out and adding our part:
 
1). We often wonder if saying YES is going to require more than we’re willing or able to give. It can feel pretty unsettling when we’re afraid to have boundaries, as if anyone can come into our garden and take whatever they want, whenever they want.
I pray Jesus would give you courage to put the appropriate boundaries in place as you say YES. You’re worth it!

2). There is a fear of “missing out.” When we’ve done without, it can feel that there won’t be enough to go around. If we invest our time in one place, will we somehow be lacking in another?
I pray you would know the extravagant love of our Father who holds nothing back from you! As you take care of His, He will take care of you.

3). We’ve been “staring in the mirror too long.” What I mean by that is sometimes we become so self-focused, that we lose sight of the world around us. While it’s so important to take care of our hearts and receive the healing we need, taking a time-out to bless someone else can be a huge part of our healing journey.
I pray that God would remove the spotlight that you’ve put on your perceived failures and weaknesses and show you who you really are in Him!
 
4). We believe we’re not healed enough to step out. The truth is, some areas that we still need healing won’t surface until we actually do the thing God’s asked us to. There’s been several times that I’ve felt inadequate or afraid of failure when I’ve chosen to do something outside of my normal comfort zone. I wouldn’t have known I still believed that if I hadn’t stepped into that unknown territory.
I pray Jesus would speak truth to those areas of your heart that need it most!
 
You are each such a vital part of this family. Thank you for making each person who walks in our door at Blazing Fire feel welcomed and valued week after week. Thank you for choosing connection when everything in you wanted to run. Thank you for adding your value and being such an integral part of what God is doing. I love being on this adventure with you.
 
                                                                                   Love, Karena

No comments:

Post a Comment